Protocol Software for the Implementation of TCP/IP in Microcontroller Systems
The networking of embedded system solutions via the Internet is becoming increasingly important. There are many different fields of application, ranging from remote maintenance and the servicing of distributed monitoring and control systems to automated updates via the Internet.
In order to enable connection of these devices to the Internet or access via Modem and PC, IXXAT Automation, in close cooperation with the American company InterNiche Technologies Inc., offers a complete protocol software family that provides users with all the essential protocols and services of web technology
This software package enables both implementation of TCP/IP at microcontroller level and data exchange on a uniform, globally-proven basis: the TCP/IP-protocol. The package is modular; in addition to the basic TCP/IP protocol, there is an entire series of other protocols and services available as independent software stacks if needed but which are only used if required to avoid tying up any resources for unnecessary functions. This also provides a fast, low-cost introduction to the technology with the option for further extensions.
Compared to competitor protocol stacks (e.g. Linux, FreeBSD), Open Source Projects or protocol stacks integrated in real-time operating systems, the biggest advantage offered by the InterNiche protocol stack is that it was developed with minimum resource utilization and high scalability in mind. This measurably improves performance and, reduces hardware costs while increasing market acceptance of a device.
The InterNiche protocol stack is structured in such a way that it can easily be ported to other CPUs. Adaptations are necessary only at clearly defined code points and can be made quickly and easily with the aid of detailed porting instructions.
When using traditional protocol stacks, adaptation is generally required, either with regard to the available resources (free stacks such as those in Linux require a relatively large amount of memory), required functionality, or the CPU or hardware to be used. This may require a considerable investment of both time and money since the stack has to be retested after changes have been made to the code. An additional problem here is the maintenance of the adapted stack. Modifications and bug fixes in the original code must continually be tested and when necessary, adopted and integrated.
Clearly, professionally developed and licensed software is a better alternative for reliable products than widely available software that comes without maintenance, development and performance guarantees.
The following protocols or services are available:
- Basic protocols: TCP/IPv4, TCP/IPv6, TCP/IPv4v6, PPP, FTP-Server, TELNET
- Security: IPSec/IKE, SSL
- Network services: WebServer (HTTP), WebBrowser, Automatic E-Mail Transmission, POP3, SNMP, DHCP
- RIP: Routing Information Protocol
- DNS Server: Domain Name Server: allows the translation of domain names to IP addresses
- NATRouter: Network Address Translation: allows the allocation and administration of private IP addresses
- IP Multicast / IGMP: Allows the transmission of IP packages to several receivers
- ChronOS: Real-time operating system based on µC/OS; Adapted to TCP/IP
- PPPoE: PPP over Ethernet
- Multilink PPP: PPP over several transmission channels, e.g. ISDN
Additional Available Services
(not part of contents of delivery)
- Code introduction: A one or two-day detailed introduction to the code from the developer. Interfaces, processes and data flows in the TCP/IP-software are described and discussed in detail. At the same time, questions regarding the specific adaptation can be answered and adaptations to the code can be made.
- Consulting and system conception: We offer comprehensive consulting on all questions and problems concerning the networking of embedded systems by Internet or Intranet. In addition, we can help with feasibility studies, system specifications, concepts, solution proposals, etc.
- Implementation support: If required, IXXAT can provide the complete adaptation, implementation and testing of the TCP/IP software for your hardware or application.
- Device development: We develop customized components or devices based on the most suitable technology in each case. From conception to line production, we are a single-source solution for your custom application.